Thursday, February 26, 2009

Into the Desert

“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil” Matthew 4:1. With Lent coming up I and along with many have been thinking about what to give up for the next forty days. Jesus was led into the desert to give up food for forty days what will I give up? But then I had this thought, maybe it’s not what will I give up for God, but what will I do for Him. In other words what can I replace in my life with Him and His word. Every year we give up something from sugar to meat, but sometimes we have the tendency to focus more on what we give up than what we gain. I think that for the next forty days we should eliminate not only one specific thing from our lives but also anything that comes between us and God. Maybe it’s a new hobby or group of friends, it could be that new computer whatever it is I say we leave it at the cross and follow God. It’s not what we lose, it’s not always the cost of following Christ but it’s the gain that we must focus, our treasure in Heaven as Jesus calls it. I say this, I say that for the next forty days we ask ourselves what it is in our lives that keeps us from God, and not only do our best to eliminate it but also replace it with the Spirit. Though the cost is great the reward is greater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)