Monday, August 16, 2010

No Looking Back

Here is one of the many lessons I learned in Belize. First I would like to say I am sorry for not getting to this sooner but I was in Cape Cod last week and obviously could not blog. I’ve always been a bit perplexed by the story of Sodom in Gomorrah. In Genesis 19 Lot is told by an Angel to flee to the mountains because the cities will be destroyed, while leaving Lot’s wife looks back to the city and is turned into a pillar of salt. My question is this, why? I mean, why turn her into a pillar of salt for just turning around to have a look? In Belize we went to a local church and I got my answer. In my life if I want to change from the person I have become into the person God made me to be then I will have to surrender my life to him. I don’t mean a onetime promise saying “God I will never do _____ again.” I mean a full surrender from the heart, a continuous decision. The pastor said that in order to do that (because surrendering to God is a very hard thing to do) we need to keep looking forward; we need to call out to God and not let ourselves slide back. When Lot’s wife looked back she openly showed to God where her heart was, where she felt her true home was. When we look back and fall away from God into sin we show Him where our hearts are; but if we look forward and don’t let the devil push us back an inch that is where God can use us in amazing ways. Too often I’ve looked back in my own life, if there’s one thing I learned in Belize it’s this, we need to look ahead towards God and never look back or turn around

No comments: