Monday, August 23, 2010

Summary of my Trip

I just realized this, I’ve been writing all these posts about the lessons I’ve learned in Belize but I haven’t written about what I actually did in Belize, I mean for all you know I could’ve sat around playing Chinese Checkers for a week. So here is a summary of my trip. On out first day we arrived around noon and the first thing that hit me was the heat, as I said to my friends everyday was a new definition for hot. Also on our first day we went on the “jungle monkey hunt”, we didn’t hunt anything but we did get to see wild howler monkeys which were very cool. The next day, Sunday, we went to the water park (working hard or hardly working?). Sunday night we went to the park which consists of a soccer field, lots of open space, as basketball court, and tons of kids, many of which I played whiffle ball with. The next couple of days we went to the inner city to paint houses and hang out with some kids. I had a blast, while painting a house I saw a grasshopper that looked like it was on steroids, ate lunch in the shop of a former gang leader, and met some great kids. The most fun I had was probably our first day when after lunch I decided to stay with the kids and color and climb trees and then boxing. The next day in the city we painted the police station and played chess with a few local kids, I got into a stalemate (basically a tie) and won a match. Later in the week we painted a church and met these two little kids, a brother and sister that loved following us around. The brother liked to take my Red Sox hat and put it on his head and help me carry big buckets of paint. I remember giving him a full, and heavy bucket to carry and when he would try to lift it up I’d tell him to lift it again and lift it myself and marvel to him “Wow you’re super strong!”. Our last work day we went to an orphanage where I played whiffle ball with a bunch of kids and got lots of water dumped on me as the kids laughed saying “Hah, you’re all wet!” On our last day we went to the Mayan Temples which made me feel like I was in an Indiana Jones movie; that was probably my favorite excursion. Anyway there is a summary of my trip, while Mississippi taught me about perseverance this trip taught me about loving others and humility, I had a great time sharing the love of God with all the kids we met and serving others, I even got used to the heat.

No comments: