Sunday, August 22, 2010

We are His Tools

You know what would be both ridiculous and somewhat funny? If after hitting a homerun as I crossed home and picked up my bat it looked up at me and said “You know, it was really I who hit that homer, not you.” Or what if this happened, after typing this blog post, my keyboard said to me “You know Tay Tay, I should get all the credit because it was really I who writes your blog posts. Now, my bat and keyboard are right in one way, they did do those things, without a bat I couldn’t hit and without a keyboard I couldn’t type. But the key word is “a” I don’t have to use a specific bat, any bat will do, and my keyboard is not the only one out there. I think it’s the same for when God uses us, especially in reaching other people and telling others about Him. In Belize we operated under more of a ministry, meaning in Mississippi we basically worked for eight hours and left, in Belize we spent more time talking to people and telling them about Jesus. Now, the man who owned DCI (the place we stayed) put a strong emphasis on “getting people saved”, that is very important but is it the whole story? Think, what really happens when I have a meaningful conversation about Jesus with someone, is it me in control or God? I believe that faith is a personal decision and a process, that you can’t just say “I believe” and end there and that in order to grow and know God He has to be in control. If I go out and try to witness on my own and focus on getting people to say “yes” then I will face little success, if I pray to God to give me an opportunity to share my faith (through any medium) and wait on Him that is where things really happen. In telling people about Jesus we are the tools, God uses us to reach His people, not the other way around.

No comments: