Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Really Long Post About Faith

C.S. Lewis said in his article “Is Theism Important?” that there are two types of faith, faith A and faith B. Faith A is what I am looking for, physical proof that God is real, real knowledge, for example I know that the grass is green. Faith B is different; it is more of a trust or confidence, like in family or friends. I agree with Lewis if we try to get the “religious experience” from pure knowledge then we’ll get nothing. I had faith B, when I first went to church I gained faith B, when I began to pray and read the Bible I had faith B, now I’m trying to find faith A. To put it simply faith A doesn’t exist here on earth the only time it did was a short segment of history called “Jesus’ life”. True faith requires trust, or a better word confidence. I don’t like to use trust in the sense that we “blindly” trust, which it implies to me; confidence is trust but in a different way, it is trusting ourselves. I trust my intellect when taking a test, if I didn’t I would fail. I trust my athleticism when I play baseball, if I didn’t I would be an error and strike out machine. I would trust my instincts if a strange person is walking toward me, if I didn’t I could get hurt. We trust ourselves all the time, we are confident in our abilities and also friends, for example I could say I am confident that my friend didn’t steal (hypothetically) my CD, or I trust him enough with access to it because I am confident he won’t. I am confident that the men who wrote the Bible thousands of years ago told the truth, one, because I am confident in historical accuracy but also I trust that because the historical parts are accurate it is true. I hope this isn’t confusing cause I got some more. If we attempt to prove the existence of God through logic only we will fail, of course there is some logic but then that isn’t faith, it’s knowledge. I love my family, it can’t be logically proven but it is true, I trust myself to know the difference between fact and fiction, I know what happened to me July 15, 2005 and the April before (fact) I know how Christianity changed me more than anything else (fact) I know I heard God’s voice (or a voice that wasn’t human or audibly heard but heard all the same: fact), can I trust myself with this knowledge and pursue faith B along with the logical sense I have? This is a long post but the idea excites me that Lewis pursued the subject I’ve struggled to grasp, I honestly feel God pushed me to buy this book (which I almost didn’t but felt I should) and pushed me to read it and then had me search for this article. Real faith comes through experience I trust my friends because I know them, I trust my family because they raised me, I trust myself because I have to, I trust God because He has revealed Himself to me. God enters our lives periodically (though no routinely) to reveal who He is, Jesus did it to the disciples and so does His Father to us. God showed me grace in hopes I would believe, He showed me love in hope I would return it He will come back again and show me another wonder of life it is up to me to both recognize and return the gift of faith He showers us with.

No comments: