Monday, July 27, 2009

What is "loving the world" and How do We Stop?

I’ve been going to my dad’s Bible study and lately we’ve been reading 1 John. One verse that stood out to me was 2: 15, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” But what exactly does that mean? We can’t go around hating the world, it would be weird to wake up and look out the window and say “Gosh I hate this planet we live on!” First off God made the world, second when He made it Genesis 1:10 says that “God saw that [the earth] was good” so to claim the earth is “bad” would call God’s creation bad and thus insult Him. Think about it this way, let’s say you work all day on this special dinner and then your guest comes and spits it out. But then what does hating the world mean? The key word in the verse is “love”, we are to love God, love Jesus, love others as ourselves, but to love the world would put it in the same esteem. Also world in the Biblical sense is not the dirt under our feet but the things of the world: activities, people, money, sin… I like to play baseball, I like to cook, I like my job but if those things ever reach the importance level of God in my life then there is trouble. If I skip my devotions to get to work or neglect my prayers because I’m tired after watching the Sox game, and who knows I could be late for work or really tired, but we can’t let the world get in the way of God. What do we do then? Well a start would be to find a way to integrate God into our life, for example I make a cross sign on my chest and look up before every at-bat and I try to be the kindest and most helpful person at work. It can get tough but we must remember the promise, 1 John 2: 17 “but the man who does the will of God lives forever.”

No comments: