Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Why Name Tags Aren't All That Great

I have to say that I feel somewhat funny after writing that post (not in the humorous sense but in an odd sense) I feel almost like I woke up after a long sleep, or walked from a dark room into the light, I hope and pray that God will continue to reveal to me who He is instead of who I imagined Him to be. The greatest danger is to characterize God, to refer to Him in human or at least worldly terms this brings Him down to our level only for us to realize our character god isn’t real and not even close to the real God, this among other things is my error it’s easy to imagine God as a large man in a throne in (as Lewis calls it ) a “sky palace” but Heaven and God are both unimaginably hard things to describe and should be left without description. To say “Heaven is like a different world that is white and pure and perfect and golden and musical…” is false, to say Heaven is where God is, is true (Lewis talks about this, don’t think this is completely my own thinking though part of it is). God is too big to be defined, I guess you could describe Him the way He did, He is who He is Exodus 3: 14, that is the only worldly description available for us to use.

No comments: