Friday, January 11, 2013

Faith from Imprisonment


As I continue to read Genesis I have come across the story of Joseph. This is one of my favorite passages in the Bible, it illustrates so much of what a relationship with God is like.

For those who don’t know, Joseph was one of 12 brothers all the sons of Jacob (Abraham’s grandson). Joseph was loved the most though because Jacob’s wife, Rebekah, gave birth to him and died. Naturally his brothers became quite angry plotted to kill him, but sold him into slavery instead. Fast-forward several years and Joseph winds up in prison for a crime he did not commit, many years later he eventually rises to power in Egypt and reunites with his family.

The most amazing thing though is Joseph’s faith throughout the entire story. Joseph never gives up or rejects God (remember that there was no official religion either, no churches to pray in, and no pastor to ask for help). Joseph was able to trust fully in God, and that was all he needed. God delivered Joseph when the time was right, and instead of saying “finally, gosh God I thought you forgot about me!” he praised God and used his blessing to help others.

How often do you allow the world to cloud your view, or cry out in frustration at God? There are many times in my life where I certainly could have reacted differently, times where I gave in to my initial anger or outrage at some injustice done to me rather than understanding that God is in control and will deliver me. That is what faith is all about, it is about trusting even though many indicators show that our trust may not be enough. It is enough though! Never forget that; never forget that God will deliver you in your time of need, that He will bless you when you are ready to receive it.

The times in my life where my trust faltered are times to learn and reflect. Times to kneel and pray; not just pray that God will bless me but to also pray for strength in my faith and trust. I pray for myself, and for you, that we may learn to trust God in our times of need just as Joseph did. Joseph had much less than we do in terms of a support group so how much more are we blessed that we have a home to turn to and a pastor to seek advice from. Trust in God; faith is never easy that’s why it takes strength to have some.

No comments: