Thursday, February 21, 2013

Everybody Falls


I’ve been thinking a great deal about the series of laws and Exodus, and some of my more recent trials and I have realized something so completely obvious yet terribly hard to admit: I am very far from perfect. I’m not superman but I like to think I am. No, I am a mere man and I will fall down and be unable to get up because that is what being human is about.

God gave us the rules to lay out what it takes to enter in communion with Him. He wants us back, and so here is the most direct way (because in a way, that is exactly what the Israelites wanted). Yet there is a major problem, we can’t do it. Heck I can’t even memorize the laws how am I supposed to follow them? That’s the point, that we can’t it’s impossible.

It is impossible for me to continue on at the pace I currently run. I can’t be superman because I have limits and I often find myself bumping up against them, mainly when many responsibilities coincide. If you look at all the men and women used by God through the ages you find something interesting: all their imperfections are glaring and potentially dismiss them from even being used by God. That’s the point, God uses imperfect people to carry out His perfect plan.

Do you take on too much, or expect too much from yourself? Well if you say no maybe we can compare notes because I sure as heck do. It’s not that I need to set the bar lower, it’s that I need to understand that there is a bar I will never reach alone, and I may try but I will fail with disastrous results. I am broken, beaten down, and weak but if I were not any of those things I would not be useable by God. 

No comments: