Saturday, February 23, 2013

Leviticus: God's "how to" manual


Well at Holy Cross you don’t even get Saturday nights off. It’s one of those weeks where I find myself put to my intellectual limits and to prepare I need to push myself past my physical limits. Someone remind me to thank God for making coffee. Anyway, I finished reading Exodus and am not diving into Leviticus (involuntary groan).

Leviticus is God’s “how to” manual, it lists the requirements for purification and how to handle the worship services and duties. It’s not the most eventful or action packed book, but it is still very interesting nonetheless. It just goes to show you how immensely perfect God is; Leviticus rules out every defect of every kind because God is a perfect God and demands perfection. It’s not that God is harsh or unforgiving, it’s not with our mortal imperfection we cannot bear to be in His presence.

Much like when looking at the sun you need shades, so it is with man and God. We need a buffer, we need a lens for our protection. Here is God’s major attempt to start anew; destroying mankind did not work, choosing one man worked temporarily, now His people are free so let’s give them the rules. It’s funny in a way, Adam had one rule (which was to not learn what the rules are) and the Pharisees of Jesus’ time listed 613 rules.

That’s why Jesus was necessary, and why God and man’s relationship developed to that point. Had the rules worked then the Bible would end at Deuteronomy, but it didn’t. The Israelites wanted a king and all they got was many years of corruption and an eventual invasion. Man could not do it alone, we needed a boost (and oh what a big boost it was).

There won’t be much to post on Leviticus (unless you want to debate the finer points of sacrificing a goat or removing mildew) but I’ll try to post when I can. 

No comments: