Friday, February 22, 2013

Week 4: God as a Guide/Protector


Well we are going to get back on track with our study on Psalms this Monday, so I figured I’d get write to Week 34: God as a protector. For this week I’ll be using my all-time favorite Psalm, Psalm 23.

I love this Psalm, it’s my go-to for when I feel lost or that my life is getting out of hand. My favorite verse is verse 4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.” I’ve been in a funk going back to October, maybe even longer. I ask all kinds of questions: why? Where is God in this? What am I to learn? Will I ever get out of it? Yet this verse reminds me that I have no reason to fear, for God is there leading me through it.

I may not be walking through the valley of the shadow of death, but I certainly have had my share of trials to endure. It’s tough, it is tough to be put to your limits and not see a way out. It’s tough to reach out and fear that no one will catch you when you fall. It’s tough to look back on where you were in a time of peace and wonder how you got where you are now. But notice that first verse “the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.” What is it you want most? Fame, fortune, love…? Well, we may never get exactly what we want, but we will get exactly what we need to sustain us.

God is leading me right now, it sure as heck does not feel like it but sometimes all I have are the “big three” faith, hope, and love. Sometimes that’s all you’ve got and that’s all you need. It’s a truly terrifying thought to not know where you are going; when I was in high school I counted on going to college and playing baseball and having a summer job. Now I look forward and there are so many question marks: what will my career be? Will I have a family of my own? But I cannot lose hope nor forget that God is leading me right now.

For now, pray. I am not at the brink of losing faith or strength, nor do I hate it here at Holy Cross like I did before. But I am frightened and stressed and don’t have much to lean back on for support. At times like these we need to trust in God and know He is there leading us, because He always had. He’s the same God who plucked me out of downward spiral of depression and pain 8 years ago, and He’s here to pick me up again and lead me through. 

No comments: