Monday, February 11, 2013

Week 2: God as a Father


As promised, here is a continuation of FCA’s study on Psalms. Today we read Psalm 139, and looked at how God plays a role as a Father in our lives. It’s funny, we say the “our Father” and refer to God as “Father God,” but how often do we really think about what it means?

Psalm 139 deals a lot with God’s role in shaping our being and lives. It talks about his grand plan He has in store for each of us, and how we all are special creations of God. It’s easy for me to try to tell God what I want to be, versus what I was made to be. I want to be a great baseball player, I want to be a great chef, I want to be a great writer, I want to be popular… The list goes on for all of us, we all want what we don’t have because we assume that it will make us more happy than we are.

I hurt my back two years ago, and my knee shortly after; since those two injuries I haven’t even come close to the baseball player I once was. Let’s say I did not get injured and went to Holy Cross and made the club baseball team. If that happened I would have been in a very different situation now. I would have had different friends, would have made different relationships, and probably would not be involved in the campus community like I am. It’s kind of selfish really, that I wish for things I don’t have instead of realizing how great my life is right now. The people I have met over the past year who have supported and loved me are worth much more than a successful stint on the Holy Cross club baseball team.

Wherever you are right now is where God intends for you to be. Does that not blow your mind? I might not be where I really want to be, but I am where I am supposed to be. The road has been tough the past couple months, but it is all part of my story. Each day is a new page in my life, each day is a new part of the book God wrote before I was even born. It’s amazing how far God has taken me, how much I have grown through my struggles and how far I still have to go.

Psalm 139 is too long to post here, but I encourage you read it! It really is a great reminder of the role we all play in life, and the role God plays in our lives. God is a loving Father to us; many people out there have great fathers and many have bad fathers, either way God is the perfect Father to you. God created you, shaped you, wrote down your story and is currently guiding you along. No day is wasted or meaningless for each is a step in the direction God is leading you at this very moment!

No comments: