Friday, August 29, 2008

Garbage Smells

In my house we keep the garbage in the garage. Usually it never smells all that bad, but after a while (especially on a hot summer day) it starts to really stink. Every time I go into the garage I smell the awful smell of old food containers, and overripe fruit. We’ll acknowledge the smell and say that the trash should be taken to the dump, but it usually take a while for someone to get the energy to. Our lives can be like that. As life goes on we often accumulate “garbage” such as anger, pride, greed, the list goes on and on. This garbage is sometimes detectible to us, the guy with anger issues will say to himself, “I got a problem, but it’s not that bad, I can fix it later.” As time goes by that garbage starts to reek, the angry man hurts those around him, the greedy man steels, the pride man makes everyone feel inferior. Fortunately we have Jesus for that. In this story Jesus is the garbage man at the dump; He’ll take our garbage, and give us a clean slate. That’s what the cross is all about when Jesus was on that cross He took our sins upon himself so we don’t have to live with them. We may have garbage on our life (everyone does) but we also have Jesus to haul it off and out of our life.

1 comment:

mbpbooks said...

I love this post. I love the picture of Jesus being the garbage guy who comes and hauls it all away. Now every time I see the garbage guys coming by, I'm going to think about what God can do in my life. Thanks, T.