Monday, December 17, 2012

Disjointed Thoughts


I just received some very troubling news. Apparently a student (who will remain nameless) plotted to assault a midnight showing of The Hobbit. Honestly, the news of these attacks breaks my heart. I once had faith in the goodness in humanity; I thought that there were others like my family who genuinely wanted to do good. Yes there are many like that, but there are also many who want to destroy, and cause pain. There are those so blinded by selfishness and power that they are willing to take a life brimming with hope, and end it. What is wrong with this world? I’m sitting here with a stomach ache, chewing tums by the bottle and downing ginger ale, and praying.
            I am reminded of Psalm 23:4 “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.” Well, I feel like I am in the shadow of death right now. The shootings in Colorado and Connecticut were horrible, but far away from me. Now I am faced with evil right in front of me. I held the door for this evil, walked past it, may have studied near it. What are we to do? I will not give up in my faith in the goodness of God. Though evil is a very present reality around us, God’s goodness is greater. I may live a life of peace, or I may see my life snatched from me but that will never, ever, destroy my faith and take God’s love away from me. Romans 8: 37-39 says, “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
            Nothing can ever take away God’s love from us, He is the most important thing in our lives and no evil or fear can change that. Governments may be cruel to their people, murderers may hurt our families, but they can never stop God’s love from strengthening our hearts. I am shocked, and not really sure of much any more but I do know that God knows what is in store for my future and He will protect me every day from here on out. 

No comments: