Sunday, December 9, 2012

This Time Words Speak Louder than Actions


            It seems that the common theme among many of my posts this week is that they are all typed late at night. I suppose that is because I have not gone to bed before 1:00 am the past three nights in a row, and do not think I will get an adequate night’s sleep tonight either. Oh well, it’s the good ole college experience.
            I’ve been thinking about how the Bible has a lot to say about our words, and how they can affect others around us. We never talk much about, well, what we talk about—whether it be there are more “popular” sins to deal with I do not know for sure. Still, it is a very important topic and must be discussed. Honestly, when do you really give thought to what you say to others? Many who know me know that I have a very bad habit of saying exactly what is on my mind. I often say the first thing that pops into my head, which can be very funny but sometimes a bit harsh if I don’t check myself. Sometimes if you don’t watch what you say you can end up hurting someone, even a friend.
            So what are we to do? I don’t have the mental energy to analyze every single thing I say before I say it. I wouldn’t talk if I tried to do that (which may solve my problem). What we can do is live in a spirit of lifting others up. Paul writes on numerous occasions that we must watch our tongues and build our brothers in Christ up, not tear them down. It is easy to make a joke at the expense of the loner, or to tell a crude joke to get a few laughs, but that kind of speech is not one that glorifies God, and not one that lifts up our own spirits.
            Words really are one of the most powerful tools we have. In complimenting someone you can make his day, in insulting someone you can ruin his day. Let us resolve to share the love of God through both our actions and words this week. 

No comments: